The Merger Poem by Judy Chicago
One of Chicago’s most popular texts is the “Merger Poem”, originally written in conjunction with The Dinner Party. This beautiful and hopeful text has been integrated into many contemporary liturgies and published in numerous books.
And then all that has divided us will merge.
And then compassion will be wedded to power
And then softness will come to a world that is harsh and unkind.
And then both men and women will be gentle.
And then both women and men will be strong.
And then no person will be subject to another’s will.
And then all will be rich and free and varied.
And then the greed of some will give way to the needs of many.
And then all will share equally in the earth’s abundance.
And then all will care for the sick and the weak and the old.
And then all will nourish the young.
And then all will cherish life’s creatures.
And then all will live in harmony with each other and the earth.
And then everywhere will be called Eden once again.
- Judy Chicago
Judy Chicago’s Merger Poem has been published in:
- Berman, Rabbi Donna. Passover Haggadah. New York: Port Jewish Center, 1995.
- Bilson, Barbara, Rabbi Sue Levi Elwell, Marlene Gilbert, William Gluckman, James Greenwood, Rabbi Sanford Ragins, Betty Rosenfeld, Nancy Sogg and Cantor William Sharlin. Leo Black Temple Shabbat Service. Leo Black Temple, 1995.
- Dissenting Views: Art in the Age of Terror. New York: War Resisters League, 2004.
- Ford-Grasbowsky, Mary, Ed. Prayers for All People. New York: Doubleday Publishing Group, 1995.
- Franekl, Cantor Chayim. Nishmat Tzedek: A Righteous Soul. Pacific Palisades: Kehillat Isreal Congregation, 2003.
- Graff, Ann O’Hara, Ed. In the Embrace of God: Feminist Approaches to Theological Anthropology. New York: Orbis Books, 1995.
- Graman, Marilyn and Walsh, Maureen. The Female Power Within. New York, NY: Life Works Books, 2002.
- Hansen, James. Sabbath Gate: Enter with Jubilee. Portland, OR: OCP Publications, 1999.
- Jensen, Marla. Sexual Abuse Group Treatment: a Heroine’s Journey. Cheshire, UK: Trafford Publishing, 2004.
- Lesher, A. Jean, Ed. Pathways to Peace: Interreligious Readings and Reflections. Cambridge, MA: Cowley Publications, 2005.
- Prayerbook for the Days of Awe. Elkins, PA: The Reconstructionist Press, 1999.
- Rafaela, Judith and Nancy Fay, Eds. The Practice of Peace. Santa Fe, NM: Sherman Asher Publishing, 1998.
- Roberts, Elizabeth and Elias Amidon. Prayers for a Thousand Years. San Francisco: Harper Collins, 1999.
- Roberts, Elizabeth and Elias Amidon. Life Prayers from Around the World: 365 Prayers, Blessings and Affirmations to Celebrate the Human Journey. San Francisco: Harper Publishing, 1996.
- Slesin, Suzanne and Emily Gwathmey. Amen, Prayers and Blessings from Around the World. New York: Viking Studio Books.